Study Global environmental studies in Costa Rica
Study location: , Costa Rica
- Duration: One semester
- Semester: Autumn
- Credits: 30 (European Credit Transfer System)
- Examination: Examination in Costa Rica/academic papers
- State loans: Yes, in most European countries
- Programme fee: 6200 euro
- Includes: Accommodation, breakfast
- Language of instruction: English
- Academic prerequisitions: University eligibility
- Academic partners:
- The complexity in major current environmental challenges
- Institutions, organisations and other agents´ different roles within international environmental management
- Central ideas, perspectives and debates within environmental management and planning
- Modern society´s challenges in planning and administering environment and development
- Economic, legal and social factors influencing decisions and actions in the relationship between human activity and environment
- The relationship between economic conditions, social development and environmental challenges on local, national, regional and international level
- Models for effective sollutions to different political and practical management dilemmas
- Procedures and techniques developed to solve complex international environmental questions
The majority of the students are from Scandinavia, with an increasing number of participants from other European countries. Kulturstudier offers scholarships to students from Costa Rica. This is to make our program accessible to local students, that might not otherwise have the financial means to participate.The scholarship students helps the visting students connect with, and understand their environments.
The differences in the students' social, academic and professional backgrounds also make for interesting debates and seminar groups. Approximately one third of the students come directly from college, one third has started their bachelor programs and the last third is made up of experienced students.
The independent status of Kulturstudier makes it possible for us to recruit the best lecturers and seminar leaders from all over the world, including Costa Rica. We are very proud of our proficient teaching staff who ensure that students recieve the maximum benefits from their studies.
The main objective of the program is to bring to life the academic theory, and enable the students to make real life comparisons. While it is up to the students to make the most out of the experience, we organize field studies where the students will encounter relevant real life examples that challenge the more abstract concepts of the curriculum.
The structure of the semester
- The self-study period: before you travel to Costa Rica you are expected to get acquinted with the curriculum and write an introductory assignment.
- The main periode: consists of ten weeks in Quepos with lectures, seminars, field trips and group assignments.
- Home exam: at the end of the ten weeks you have three weeks to write your home exam.
The self study assignment and the home exam can be done anywhere in the world, why not in Costa Rica?
The course is worth 30 ECTS and can be included as part of a bachelor degree.
You can also combine the course with any of our other programs in Nepal, Ghana, Vietnam or Argentina.
Environmental degradation is one of the major challenges of our time. Still, expertise in environmental policies and global context remains in short supply, and we see large institutions forming as an answer to the hunt for sollutions.
Institute for International Studies at Oslo Metropolitan University (OsloMet) holds the academic responsibility for the program. You get your ECTS and state loan/scholarships through and because of OsloMet. It is Norway´s third largest university, with approximately 20 000 students and 2000 employees.
In Costa Rica we cooperate with Universidad Internacional de San Isidro Labrador (UISIL), which contribute with,among other things, some of the students and course lecturers.
The application process
To apply for the courses you must be eligible for university training.
Fill in the application form. If there are still places available we will send you an offer with an invoice for the deposit of 250 Euro. By paying the deposit you confirm your place on the programme. Leading up to the start of the programme we will keep you informed about the preparations for travel and studies.
Why study global environmental studies in COSTA RICA
- you acquire the tools to understand environmental challenges and sollutions
- acamic theories are sharpened against your own costarican and Central American experiences
- you meet people who have a very different background from your own
- you see that how we live in Europe affects Costa Rica and the rest of the world
- you aquire your own curriculum related experiences
- you work with students and teachers from other parts of the world
- you learn that you can master new knowledge and new environments